Monday, March 30, 2009

By yourself, you can join The Royal We

One person only, they were very clear on that, or I'd go with you. One person only.
For the longest time, I didn't think anybody liked The Big Lebowski as much as myself.
I remember desperately wanting the same poster that the Dude has over his bar.
Shortly after finding it online, I discovered Lebowski Fest.
Years would pass in which I kept missing out on Fests.
I would vicariously read their accounts on the message board.
Finally, I had told myself that 2008 would be the year I would attend my first Fest.
On sheer coincidence, the first Fest of 2008 would be held less than 30 minutes away in Chicago.
I had bought many tickets with the hopes of convincing many friends.
However I was only able to convince two to join me.
(I'll get to what I did with the extra tickets later)
My friend fell ill during the first night's activities.
Him and his Special Lady Friend had to leave before the screening.
I'm staying. I'm Finishing my coffee.
My friend's sickness didn't improve the next day.
The bowling party was going to be another solo effort.

Well, I can see you're anxious for me to get to the point.

If you really like The Big Lebowski, attend a Fest -
ALONE if you have to... It's worth it.

I had sold my extra tickets to Chicago Lebowski Fest to a couple from Houston.
They had flown up for the occasion - as a part of a last minute birthday gift.
Total strangers - finding a common ground in a love for a great film.

Four months later, at the Annual Fest in Louisville, I decided to go alone.
Trusting fellow Achievers, I was sure that I wouldn't be alone for long.
I did not feel out of my element.

I met a couple from Pittsburgh.
Besides Lebowski, we had great conversations about music.
They should be back this July, and I'm looking forward to reconnecting.

Two brothers from Canada were also welcoming of my friendship.

We all ended up exploring Louisville together.
Highlighted by voyage to Lynn's Paradise Cafe.

A father and son combo from New England warmed my heart.
The foursome from Ohio were Lebowski Scholars (and Treehorn wannabes).
Infamous personalities from the message board also materialized.

Although all of these conversations started with the movie, none were dominated by it.

It does take a unique spirit to attend a Lebowski Fest by yourself.
Primarily, you have to like talking with strangers.
But when you are in the midst of a throng striving to be laid-back, it's easy to abide.

There's probably an over 90% chance that I'll be attending The 8th Annual alone again.
I'm not at all upset about that.

(Here is the poster that started it all for me)[TQ]

No comments:

Post a Comment