Monday, March 23, 2009

Pilar?

Before I introduce myself, a brief mention of the actress Irene Olga López:
As so many young [and old wo]men of [her] generation, she had a small but memorable scene in a movie we all love.
The portrayal of "Pilar (Sellers' housekeeper)" will forever overshadow her career both before and after The Big Lebowski, in our minds.
She's a bona fide veteran of both stage and screen, here's a small sampling of work featuring her craft:
Falling Down, Fraiser, Showgirls, The L Word (picture below to describe that last listed show's content)

I know of no other way to introduce myself, other than the fact when I was in Costco recently I saw middle aged Latina featuring a name tag of "Pilar" and instantly thought of The Big Lebowski. We're all, on a personal level, really enormous fans. To the extent that it doesn't take much to get our minds sidetracked to a Lebowski-related ideal.

My mind gets cued to TBL more and more every day. Even if there isn't a literal connection. Last week a coworker used a very antiquated term of "oriental" when describing someone's ethnicity. I politely informed her that the term is not the preferred nomenclature. After double checking the most accurate detailing of the script I know of, I realized that "oriental" isn't said once in the entire feature... A great new nugget to me, seeing how it could've been used aptly to describe the rug that set the entire plot in motion.

Speaking of that accurate script, I will like to thank the Achiever we all know as Dragon. I had the pleasure of meeting him last July, and I would never be able to have my effort to this blog be as legit as I hope without his painstaking discipline. You will see links to this script frequently as I intend to use accurate quotes in my writing.

The founding Dudes have allowed me to help out with the LeBlogski effort. Hopefully you will all abide as well. My name is TQ, I'm from just outside of Chicago and have only been to a couple official Lebowski Fests. You'll see me for sure in Louisvile this July.

By the way, TBL: 10th Anniverary DVD, is being sold on Costco's website for $22.49. You could be the first to write a review (as of the time I'm writing this).[TQ]

3 comments:

  1. Enlightening our fellow travellers to the preferred nomenclature is seldom over the line.

    Howdy from DuPage, TQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far out! Looking forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete