Friday, July 3, 2009

The Dude's answer for everything


ONE WEEK TO GO!

In my last post I offered the following Sample Lebowski Fest Trivia Question:

QUESTION: What is The Dude's answer for everything?

If you answered "Bowling" you're a fuckin' amateur.
If you answered "Fuck it" you are very close*, but I'd have to say you're wrong.
If you answered "Just take it easy" I would say you are correct.

The key is in the preposition in my question.
If I had asked, "What is the Dude's answer TO everything?"
(as was stated by Jeffrey 'The Big' Lebowski)

*Then "Fuck it" would be the apt reply.

However, just minutes later Walter stated that "Take it easy" was The Dude's answer FOR everything."



If you want to ask me if there's really difference, I'd first say:
"Are we gonna split hairs here?"
Then I'd insist that the Coen Brothers were precise in how they wanted their actors to speak.
For example: as noted in I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski, the famous "...a lot more uh, uh, uh, uh, complex..." was carefully scripted out.

Which is why I contend that there is a difference in the answer depending on which preposition is used in the question.

The point of this exercise is to illustrate that the Trivia Contest can be tricky, and it has to be in order to filter out the lightweights.

Dragon, of the Achiever Forum notoriety, told me a wonderful story of how a past Triva Contest was awarded in the final round. The Founding Dudes asked the finalists to list as many songs by The Eagles as possible...

They deducted one point for every Eagles song written because the true Trivia Champ would also hate the fuckin' Eagles...

Hearing that story blew my mind.

You all have one week left to cram for the best, most fun, quiz you'll ever take.[TQ]

No comments:

Post a Comment