Wednesday, June 17, 2009

On a Moonless Prairie

Although Lebowski Fest Austin is the furthest from today (October 9 & 10), it's the stop most on my mind this week...

That is because Austin, on a personal level, is best known for the SXSW festival.
In the last few years, SXSW has expanded from beyond music to also include a film festival.
Not unlike what Bonnaroo did last weekend.

Who's to say that Lebowski Fest might won't find their way to crash that Garden Party too?
The Dudes have roots in Texas.
They brought the Fest there in May of 2006 and will triumphantly return to Austin as the final stop on the Lebowski Fest Speed of Sound Tour.

I eventually want to mention each of the 14 non-Louisville cities about to host a Lebowski Fest.
For this post, I wanted to share a favorite picture from the first time Austin hosted:



I haven't seen this picture before today, and it has instantly shot up to one of my favorite all time. These kinds of costumes, which really make you stop and think in order to figure it out are true achievements. Bonus points for rarity as well: the more and more Fests that happen exponentially raise the bar for Achievers looking for an original costume.

Although I need to mention that originality and obscurity are far from requirements at Lebowski Fests as the most photographed, loved, and trophy awarded costumes are of the film's most recognizable figures. And I suspect the Texan locale will result in many Strangers and boots with only nine toes inside.[TQ]

1 comment:

  1. I love these kinds of costumes but I'm racking my brain on this one.. Is she a "spinal"?

    ReplyDelete