Sunday, May 3, 2009

AND A GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR.

Last week I was driving down Irving Park Road in Chicago.
I was on my way to see a concert, by the band that got mega-famous for this song.
Along the way, while I was in the left lane, a noticed a fellow Achiever in the right lane.
I know this from the sticker on the car:
I was happy this car was to my right, because on the right rear window of my car, I have the following decal:
Eye contact proved impossible. The only way to get the fellow driver's attention would have been through a sign of aggression. The honking of a horn for example. But that's the last thing either of us wanted.

It reminds me that there is still no suitable non-verbal communication between us to acknowledge that there is another Achiever in our presence. Last summer I was 4 hours away from my home at a Radiohead concert, wearing the below shirt:
"Hey, the Dude abides!" was yelled to me from a far. I was easily able to nod my head politely in return and extend my favorite salutation, "AND A GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR."

My friend who was with me, an amateur, asked if that interaction was something Lebowski...
He quickly texted his wife the note that they had to re-watch the movie soon.


One member of the Ohio foursome known as Treehorn Productions to some, or the 7:11 crew to others, has the only idea I've heard to date of a non-verbal communication to a fellow Achiever.

It involves a hand raised high while bowing one's head in a reenactment of a Brandt gesture. Just before The Dude was directed to Mr. Lebowski, who was in seclusion in the West Win
g.

This specific member of the foursome (that won the Best Costume Trophy last year) looks enough like Brandt to have a winning costume. He was perfecting this gesture last July and in my picture he's performing it to all the masses of the Executive Strike and Spare.

It's a very nice idea indeed... However, not one I could execute in my non-convertible car, let alone keeping my eyes on the road.

Speaking of salutations, be careful if you are attending this weekend's Lebowski Fest LA 2009. There's some sort of hog-related influenza frenzy around the southern U.S. border. I personally don't believe the fear, but advise against shaking the hands of any carpet-pissers. **Please note that I very confident that both Mark Pellegrino (Blonde Treehorn Thug) and Philip Moon (Woo the rug pisser) washed their hands regularly, especially after micturating.**

I wish safe travels to all about to embark on the voyage to the City of Angels.
Selfishly, I've begun my countdown to 8th Annual at my desk at work... A desk which features the below sticker over my phone: However, don't forget - there are a bunch more Fests thanks to the unprecedented Speed of Sound Tour.[TQ]

No comments:

Post a Comment