Monday, May 18, 2009

Get On Your Boots (or rather, Jellies)

In the summer of 1997, I was 18 years old and a (very) recent graduate of high school.
My, at the time, favorite band U2 had released an album that wasn’t as critically acclaimed as some of their prior efforts.

Nonetheless, U2 had scheduled a massive outdoor concert at Soldier Field.
It was heartbreaking to my 18 year old life that I was unable to see that show.
I vowed that I would make up for it, and to an extent I did, when I saw U2 four years later during an Arena tour.

U2 is set to take the road again, announcing a massive outdoor concert tour that will bring them back to Solider Field for the first time since 1997. Again, it’s on the heels of yet another album that I personally feel is below their previous two. I had purchased my ticket to their show on Sunday September 13. This was very exciting to me.

I am no longer planning on seeing U2 when they come to Chicago this September.
Is it a function of the fact that I’m now 30, and have somewhat grown out of my “first [music] love” of Bono & Company?... Partially...
But there’s something more important that’s happened since 1997.

Specifically, the release of The Big Lebowski in 1998.

This event was the impetus that led to a complete recalibration of my fandom priorities.

When it was announced that the Lebowski Fest Speed of Sound Tour would be hitting Chicago staring September 13, Bono didn’t stand a chance – it was not, for him, a Beautiful Day.

I will still be around fans who will yell out favorite lines from a man who prefers just four letters in his name. A man who often wears sunglasses. A man who… well, I’m having a difficult time finding a common way to link a passion for foreign debt relief and reimbursement for rug damage, but you get the point.

Last Friday tickets went on sale for Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, DC and Austin. I quickly bought mine for Chicago along with an extra pair… Understanding that Bono is busy Sunday September 13 for the Movie Party, maybe he and a special lady friend will like to bowl with me the next two nights before they skip town?[TQ]

No comments:

Post a Comment